It is time to adapt SEO and Digital Marketing strategies. With the pandemic affecting the world and a radical change in user habits, it is important that brands take the appropriate measures. It will be the only way to meet the planned objectives.
On the other hand, which brand would not like to appear in the first results of the main searches today? More nowadays than most of the population is confined at home. Something that is causing an increase in Google searches. And, obviously, the main searches have to do with the Coronavirus crisis.
The problem is that to be in the first results of these keywords today you should have made the decision to adapt SEO strategies a couple of months ago. Otherwise, it will be very difficult to appear in the first results in searches due to the current enormous competition.
Coronavirus Vs Covis19
Coronavirus is a term that, according to Google Trends, was quite flat until January worldwide and until February in Spain. For its part, Covid-19 began to be somewhat more present in global Google searches in late February.
The question is, what keyword should be worked on the most? From the data it seems clear that Coronavirus is the winning term. So, with logic, SEO positioning should be worked for this keyword. The problem is that now the fight to position himself is already bloody.
In addition, this shortlist of keywords is a clear example of one of the worst mistakes that some brands usually make: No matter how hard they try to use the right terms, people will keep looking for what they think is most convenient.
That there are many more searches on ” Coronavirus ” than on ” Covid-19 ” shows what users are looking for. Regardless of whether it is now more appropriate to speak of the second because the first is generic. Therefore, avoid technical terms when adapting SEO strategies. And it works, even on your website, with the keywords that users use.
Triple SEO + SEM strategy
SEO is a long-term strategy. This makes it difficult to position yourself in the short term in searches of this type. But it is time to invest and make an effort to position yourself. Still, in cases like this pandemic, it may be time for a triple strategy:
- Identify which will be the keywords that will work within a month view. Now is the time for “Coronavirus “,” Covid-19 “or” how to work remotely “but it is likely that in a few weeks it will be joined by others. It is time to analyze the searches that are being made to try to extract information from the future.
- Define keywords for the long tail of these terms. That is, it is already complicated, it appears before the search « Coronavirus », which also has the complication that it is a word that works worldwide. But perhaps betting on more niche terms such as “How Coronavirus affects a business “or” Coronavirus and age “is more interesting.
- If you need to position yourself yes or yes, you may have to opt for a campaign in Google Ads. Knowing that, right now, the bid will have raised the prices of many keywords.
6 keys to adapt SEO strategies
A good SEO strategy is to go ahead and work on this term from the moment the searches start to rise. Adapt SEO strategies to temporary but high impact situations such as this pandemic involves taking care of the following 6 factors:
- – Know your audience
Does it make sense to work on keywords that your target audience doesn’t use? Well, some brands do not seem so clear. And they work their contents so that they are shown in searches of users who are not at all interested in what they have to offer.
Hence the urgent need to know your audience. And in depth. The more you know how it behaves and what keywords they react to, the better. Because you can adjust the keywords as well as the appropriate and relevant content at all times. For this you have different tools that can help you:
- Buyer persona. Analyze which user profiles you have to adapt SEO strategies to.
- Empathy map. Knowing what your user thinks and feels, what he hears, what he sees and does or what he says and does, you will be able to better define your audience.
- Customer journey. What phases are your client going through? What are the positive touch points? And the improvements?
- – Define the keywords that interest you
Once you know who you should direct your efforts to, it’s time to identify the right keywords. Here the work must be twofold:
- Analysis of the competition. What keywords does your competition work on? What are the hashtags that most identify them? To do this, look at the metatags found on their web pages. And check if they have SEM campaigns running and with what keywords. Not only that, it is important that you really know who your competition is. Because one thing is those companies that you have identified. But surely there will be some brands that fight for your same space in the digital environment even if you don’t see them as competitors.
- Keyword analysis. A good job in this regard will help you collect several thousand words. It is important that you do this work to be able to select the ones that interest you the most. To do this, follow these steps:
- Create lists of keywords that may have to do with your brand.
- Add those used by your competition.
- Also include keywords that give you specific tools. Google’s own suggestions are a good start.
- Analyze which of them have more traffic and the cost of each of them.
- Make a selection for these parameters and start using them.
- – Take care of your website
On-page SEO is essential to adapt SEO strategies in times of crisis like the current one. In fact, it can be said that it is something basic if you want to appear in the results of Google searches. Therefore, you must ensure that you take proper care of the following elements:
- SEO optimized website architecture. And don’t forget to also optimize for mobile SEO.
- Hierarchy of page titles (H1, H2, and H3).
- Internal links that are worked.
- Images optimized so that your weight does not interfere negatively.
- Optimized URLs.
- A suitable sitemap file.
- Optimized Meta tags and SEO descriptions.
- Usability of the entire website.
- Correct legibility of the texts.
- A well-structured robots.txt file.
- Website optimized also in terms of loading speed.
- – Create valuable content
All of the above will be useless if you do not create specific content that your audience considers relevant. And in this sense you should not only take into account the message of the content but also the same format. Why not use videos that help you appear in the first results of video searches?
Hence, if you want to adapt SEO strategies, it’s time to create interesting infographics or well-worked posts that get lots of links.
- – Bet on link building
Because this is another of the keys to good positioning: getting linked. For Google, if a content is relevant, users will not only consume it. They will also link you from other websites that, the more relevant they are, the more they will help.
A suitable link building strategy that meets the requirements that Google does not penalize is a guarantee that your website will appear in relevant searches. Therefore, to adapt SEO strategies in times of the Coronavirus, you must identify the means with which to collaborate and the messages that are shared from them.
- – Measure everything
If you don’t measure your actions it will be difficult for you to know if the adjustment you are making is working. This is the main mistake that many brands make. They are capable of generating proper SEO strategies. But they do not know if they are really fulfilling the objectives that have been set. Especially since the KPIs to be analyzed have not been raised nor are the minimum measurements of interest made.
Therefore, if it is not measured, it is not known exactly if the results are as expected. Hence the need to clearly define the indicators to be taken into account. And the tools that will show you the performance data of your actions in real time.
To adapt SEO strategies, it will therefore be important to be clear about keywords and their position in SERPs. But it will also be necessary to have the help of a Digital Marketing platform such as Blogger Cage where you can obtain the essential information for making link building decisions.