How many times have you performed an ‘Invisalign vs braces’ search in order to decide what will suit you better? Well, if you are still confused between the two, here is a brief insight into both the treatments and their pros and cons.
Braces are made from metal and are attached to the outside of your teeth to achieve results. They comprise of metal wires and rubber bands that attached to brackets and are fixed to your teeth in a way that they put pressure on them in order to mold and shape them. You can also choose wires that are same color as your enamel so that they are less noticeable. Alternatively, teenagers can also have fun with teen braces that come in different colors.
Invisalign, on the other hand, are made from clear, plastic aligners. These are custom made for each patient by taking a 3D scan of their mouth. These aligners substantially move the teeth to reach a correct position.
Let us walk you through the merits and demerits of both.
Advantages of Braces
- Metal braces are Therefore, they will stay in place and you do not have to worry about losing them or damaging them.
- They take lesser time to treat because they are worn 24 x 7.
- Cleaning them is same as that without them. No extra hassles.
- They are cost-effective as compared to Invisalign.
- It is possible to achieve perfect results with braces.
Disadvantages of Braces
- Braces are quite noticeable and therefore, can make some people self-conscious.
- You need regular consultations to make sure that they are in place.
- Some foods can cause So, you need to keep a check on what you eat.
- They can be troublesome for people in contact sports because metal can cause potential damage to tissue upon contact.
Advantages of Invisalign
- You can remove Invisalign anytime you want and therefore, no restrictions are there on what you eat.
- They are not fixed, which is why they are more comfortable to wear.
- They are virtually invisible because they are transparent.
- Invisalign does not require frequent consultations. You only need to visit if you are facing some trouble.
Disadvantages of Invisalign
- Removability is not necessarily a pro for all. Some patients do not wear them for long and therefore, they cannot expect the perfect results.
- When in public place, taking them out to eat maybe troublesome as you may lose them.
- You are also at increased risk of cavities and bad breath.
- For the patients who have bridgework, back tooth bite problems, or the need to rotate canines or premolars, Invisalign treatment may not be effective.
Which is the right choice?
The choice of Invisalign vs braces is not easy. The final decision comes down to the patient because each patient has different preferences and needs. If you are self-conscious about your appearance but can manage to be disciplined, Invisalign is for you. However, if you need faster results and are not bothered about how you will look, choose braces.
Emily Taylor found the perfect fit for herself as the Online Marketing Manager at Thurman Orthodontics in Fresno CA as she believes that a great smile does more than just make a person look great – it makes them feel great as well. The power of a smile has always been a mystery to Emily and she loves researching and writing about it. She loves to write about everything to do with a healthy bite and a beautiful smile – whether is it ways to achieve it or the importance of it in the various aspects of life. What brings a big smile on Emily’s face is her family and surfing. She also likes to bake and her children and co-workers call her the cookie fairy!