Top 12 Amazing Benefits of Cayenne Pepper for Health
Cayenne pepper is something that is often said to be a gastronome’s delight. It is often used to add a little spice to our food. But you will be amazed to know that cayenne pepper also comes with a plenitude of health benefits.
Used for both foods and medicines for over 9000 years, cayenne pepper can reduce the acidity and stimulate your body’s circulation. This is a type of chilli pepper that belongs to the nightshade family of flowering plants. They are related to jalapenos and bell peppers.
Capsaicin is said to be the active ingredient in cayenne pepper and that is responsible for its hot taste as well as its medicinal properties. In fact, how hot a cayenne pepper is, depends on the amount of capsaicin contained in it.
Here are some of the major benefits of cayenne pepper for health. Just take a look.
- Unclogs a Stuffy Nose – Capsaicin happens to be a great decongestant. It opens up airways and stimulates the release of mucus from the respiratory tracts and as a result the airways open up. You can sprinkle this up on some chicken soup or any other food that you are having and just sit back relishing it while grabbing some tissues.
- Helps with Digestion – Saliva is produced by cayenne pepper that is important for digestion. The digestive process initiated as the salivary glands are stimulated by cayenne pepper. Not only that, it also helps prevent bad breath.
- Boosts Immunity – A healthy body can be maintained, and infections can be combatted with a strong immune system. People who have low immunity often get knocked off even when they face mild headache or fever. For powering up the immunity they then switch to tablets. But with generous amount of cayenne pepper you can stay healthy. It contains good amount of Vitamin A or beta-carotene that prevents the pathogens from entering the body and boosts the immunity system so that you can live healthy.
- Reduces Blood Sugar – Research has revealed that diabetics who had liberal amounts of chilli pepper in their meal require less insulin for decreasing their blood sugar level later on. This study reveals that the spice consists of anti-diabetic perks.
- Relieves Migraine – The researchers have suggested that being spicy, cayenne pepper is able to create a pain sensation in some other parts of the body. As a result, the migraine is reduced.
- Helps to Lose Weight – The cayenne pepper boosts up the process of metabolism and that may have some implications for the management of weight. Studies have revealed that when cayenne pepper is added to food it increases the lipid oxidation and diet induced thermogenesis. The capsaicin in the cayenne pepper has been the focus of many studies as it plays a key role in the intake of energy and can assist in weight loss magnificently.
- Lowers the Blood Pressure – The high blood pressure is a great health risk across the world. Over 40 percent of the adults over the age of 25 have high level of blood pressure. Research has brought to light the fact that capsaicin in cayenne peppers can also reduce the level of high blood pressure. The long-term use of capsaicin decreases the level of high blood pressure according to a study.
- Reduces Blood Clots – Fibrinolytic activity is encouraged by cayenne pepper and this helps to keep blood clots at bay. The artery-narrowing lipid deposits are cleared away by the capsaicin in cayenne pepper and this dilates the blood vessels and the arteries.
- Tackles Arthritis – Arthritis is one of the dreaded diseases that actually affects millions of people from all over the world. Rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis have serious consequences if not treated in the right way. These include swelling, inflammation and severe pain in joints. Though many people opt for laboratory prepared medicines, but cayenne pepper has been found to be extremely useful for arthritis. The joint pains are soothed by the presence of the capsaicin in it. When applied the cayenne pepper first produces a burning sensation but gradually the pain subsides.
- Helps to Detox – Cayenne is also said to be a circulatory stimulant. It enhances the lymphatic and the digestive rhythms. The natural process of detoxification is streamlined by heating the body. Cayenne also triggers sweating which is the natural process of detoxification. So for total body detox, cayenne mixed with honey and lemon juice happens to be an excellent morning beverage.
- Prevents Cancer – Apoptosis or death of cancer cells is induced by capsaicin according to several studies. In fact, it also arrests the ability of cancer cells to spread across the body. Capsaicin assists with its anti-tumour activity as well as with curing prostate cancer. The compound is proven to be advantageous for treating cancers of the breast, lungs, prostate and colon.
- Heals Toothaches – Using cayenne pepper for toothache is something that is well-known and it works brilliantly every time. This reduces the tooth pain by acting as a counter-irritant and increasing the flow of blood. You can also ask your dentist about this the next time you go for a tooth cavity treatment or for a regular check-up.
The above are some of the major health benefits of cayenne pepper for health so that you can make the most of this magic spice to stay healthy and lead a great life.
Sawoni Chowdhury is an aficionado of writing. She is an expert writer and blogger and shares her views and opinions on a range of topics such as Lifestyle, Business, Entertainment and lot more.