Be it an IT admin at MNCs or your average office guy, when it comes to desktop email clients, everyone is aware of Microsoft Outlook. It is by far the most popular email client used in industutries all over the globe. It uses Personal Storage Table or PST files to store all its data i.e., emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, journals, and notes. On the other hand, MBOX file, although not supported by Outlook, is the most used email storage format with connections to over 20 email applications.
In the past couple of years, it has been seen that due to many circumstances, people have a need to import MBOX file in Outlook. For some reading the old MBOX files in Outlook is the main reason, while for others, migration from MBOX-based email client to Outlook is the main concern. In this article, two methods are given that will help you to import MBOX file in Outlook without any inconvenience. But first, let us take a look at some of the popular applications that generate MBOX files:
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- Apple Mail
- Entourage (Discontinued)
- The Bat!
- Gmail (via Google Takeout)
- Mozilla SeaMonkey
- Opera Mail (MBS File)
Method 1: How to Import MBOX File in Outlook with IMAP
This method takes advantage of the 2-way synchronization of email messages over IMAP protocol. You will need a web-mail email account (such as Gmail) to complete the process. Simply follow the below-mentioned steps to import all your MBOX files into Microsoft Outlook using IMAP:
Step 1: Preparing a new Gmail Account
- First create a new Gmail account. Login and go to Settings by clicking on the Gear icon.
- Here, make sure to select the Enable IMAP option in the Forwarding & IMAP tab.
- Save the changes.
Step 2: Using Thunderbird as a Mediator
- Now, configure this Gmail account in Mozilla Thunderbird.
(Note: You will require a MBOX-based email client for IMAP configuration. If you wish to complete the process without using email clients, move to the second solution.)
- Open the MBOX mailbox in Thunderbird and select the emails that you wish to import into Outlook.
- Copy them into the Inbox of Gmail account.
- Open the Gmail account in a browser to verify the copied emails.
- Quit Thunderbird.
Step 3: Importing the Emails in MS Outlook
- Start the MS Outlook application.
- Configure the same email account in Outlook. Unlike the mandatory IMAP protocol used in Thunderbird, here you can use both POP as well as IMAP for email configuration.
- Create a new folder in Outlook that will store all the MBOX emails.
- Open the Gmail mailbox and move all the MBOX emails into the new folder of Outlook.
- Now, you can access all your email messages of the MBOX files in Microsoft Outlook without nay problems.
Note: Do note that this solution produces best results when the amount of email messages to move is not large.
Method 2: Direct Way of Importing MBOX into Outlook in Bulk
If you wish to retain your folder structure and formatting, then use MBOX to Outlook Converter tool. It is designed to export multiple MBOX files to PST in bulk without consuming too much time and effort. It does not matter what kind of MBOX file you are using (.mbox file or an MBOX without extension, MBS file), this tool supports them all. To import the MBOX file in Outlook using this utility, follow the given steps:
- Run MBOX to Outlook Converter tool and click on the Add File
- Click on Next and select the MBOX file that you wish to import into Outlook. You can use the Folder mode to add multiple MBOX files at once.
- Preview the emails once the files are scanned thoroughly.
- For selective conversion, simply checkmark the boxes and right-click to Export the selected items.
- For bulk conversion, simply click on the Export button on top of the menu.
- Now select the PST option and apply other settings as per convenience. Click on the Export
- A window will appear asking for confirmation to merge the MBOX files into single PST or not. Choose
- Now, simply import the converted PST file(s) into Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, or 2003 and access all your MBOX emails in Outlook.
In this way, you can easily access all your emails in Outlook without losing the email formatting, structure and properties.
In this article, you got to know the two best ways to import MBOX file in Outlook without any inconvenience. You can either choose to use email clients or simply go for the automated solution to import MBOX to Outlook. Make a list of your requirements and choose the solution that best fits your needs.