The proud owner of a brand-new flute? Then assuredly all charged up to overwhelm hearts tomorrow at the flute school? Wait a moment.
Are you savvy over the pro norms of maintaining it and thereby preserving the dazing profile that is filling-up your heart right now? Recognize –
- No matter of which premium brand (Yamaha/Lazarro/ Pearl Quantz) your instrument is, if you fail to take the cautious and timely care for it:
- Not only the ‘look’, but also the inherent playability quality is going to get compromised very soon.
So, just like the endeavors you are going to undertake to flute the very best of symphonies and earthy oriental tunes, be sure to effort upon the optimum upkeep of the very instrument.
Do there prevail way too much tasks to pursue? On the contrary, following an easy succinct, but attentive routine, can let you treasure one single flute, at its perfect form and ‘physique’ for times to come.
Check out the tactics in here:
Learn the Right Assembly
By the perspective of all eminent flute lessons across the borders, it stands indispensable that a flute learner ‘grasps’ the exact sequence of ‘setting-up’ a flute. This strengthens the one’s knowledge over the correct breathing technique, apt lip plate positioning and-
- Allows the student to maintain the day-to-day cleansing schedule.
Just follow these steps articulately:
- Reach out for the gear’s middle joint
- Hold it with left hand, where the company name is carved and be sure not to pressurize the keys there
- Now grasp the head joint via the right hand and through a soft and revolving move, sync it within the mid-joint
- Continue revolving the headstock unless the embouchure hole center aligns with the middle point of main keys; ‘feel’ the head joint as neither too tight nor way to loose
- As for fitting in the foot joint follow the same method as applied for the head joint; only ensure that you are not creating any friction upon the mid-joint keys
- Inspect whether the foot joint has been perpendicularly installed and that its connecting part is straightened up in relation to the middle row keys
Clean Immediately After Every Play
Now learn why it is essential for you to learn the perfect flute assembly. Yes! To cleanse the instrument properly you must dissemble it (in the exact reverse manner as highlighted above) and then ‘put it’ back in shape.
As for the ‘hacks’ of every time cleaning, they appear well-enough simpler like –
- Avail a good quality swab cloth with ‘edgy’ ends for dry wiping the moisture from the deep ‘within’ of head, mid and foot joints; know that moisture accumulation from your mouth tends to make the flute stiffer to resonate
- Completing this, take a clean metal rod. Wrap the swab well all over it and ensure no part can be seen – essential since the flute’s body being metal-made as well, there can arise scuffs on the flute as the two rods collid
- Now utilize this ‘cloaked’ rod to dry up any moist upon the flute’s exterior portion
- Acquire two sleek brushes (with good quality hair) to clean those little ‘cream pads’ placed below each key to lock the air during play
- Through gentle strokes and only by a micro-fiber fabric, remove the finger-print impressions from the instrument; what opine the patron flute lessons Singapore is that the acid retained by human fingerprints is, in effect, harmful for the flute’s varnish and finishing
The Tenon Care
As upholds a veteran flute teacher at Stradivari Strings, as a fundamental rule, no commercial petroleum jelly or cork grease should be opted for to ‘oil’ the flute tenon – as that, in consequence can lead to the accumulation of hardened grease at your flute.
Simply assure that the tenon has been dried well with a soft cotton ball every time you cease playing and only think of applying clinically-recommended paraffin wax when the body part appears too stiffer to move.
Nevertheless, according to the flute teacher, adjusting and oiling the tenon are complex tasks, best accomplished by professional Luthiers – as novice hands of students can end up rupturing or damaging the body part.
So whenever the need for these arise or you identify any fissure over the tenon, get in touch with a pro repairer and accomplish the most effective service.
Focus over the Periodic Routine
In the opinion of each noteworthy flute teacher Singapore, the prime step to take over this aspect is that of availing a good flute care kit. Check the collections offered by celebrated companies like Gemeinhardt, Andoer, Carlton and make sure the one you pick includes-
- Contoured swab to clean insides with ease
- Quality metal rod for the outside drying
- Key screwdriver, oil and grease of mild lubricating property
- Stretchable gloves to protect your hands
- Polishing cloth infused with polish
As for pursuing the maintenance procedure –
- Give a solid wipe to the finish and color texture of the instrument through the polishing cloth
- Do not use any liquid polish as that harm the tiny key pads
- Drop one drip of key oil into a plate and pick that with a toothpick. Now apply that to every key pivots
- Once utilized, wash your swab well so as for next time usage
As proclaims an age-old flute school, upon regular playing or improper placement in the case, the keys often go out of tune and may require ‘a bit of’ adjustment. Likewise the tenon, bank upon a deft Luthier only to get the job perfectly done.
To Place It with Precision
- Lay the flute on the case (better to avail a water-proof and contoured one with 2-3 compartments) gently
- Clasp both the latches and check whether the gear is seated all right and will not accidentally slip off
- Music sheets, notebooks, cleaning fiber – nothing should be placed over the flute as they push upon the keys and twist them out-of-shape
Before You Leave:
- Outside the case, keep the flute only upon the music stand to prevent any chance of man-handling
- Be sure to take off any jewelry or ornamental buttons you may be wearing prior to play as they often result in scratches around the embouchure hole.
Nourish the flute to nurture its playability.